The first floor of the building retains the appearance and the features of an “appartamento di parata” (formal apartment). Accessed via a monumental staircase, entirely adorned with 17th-century frescoes and coeval Flemish tapestries, this floor has kept unaltered its opulent and sumptuous decorations, carried out between the 17th and the 18th century, It includes the so-called “New Gallery” that, despite being more recent and built in a more sober neoclassical style, is as lavish as the adjoining rooms.
Just like on the ground floor, the succession of rooms (drawing rooms, bedroom and alcove) facing via Galli Tassi is far more sumptuous than the other rooms usually inhabited by the Mansis: these latter rooms were meant for everyday use by the family members, and were conceived according to a more sober bedroom/antechamber design. The furniture and the paintings, all made by Luccan artists or commissioned by Luccan clients, were bought on the antique market by the museum to replace the original items, almost entirely lost before the Palace was purchased by the Italian State (1966).
A whole wing of the first floor is occupied by the picture gallery. Where once the Mansis had their now-lost “Quadreria” (collection of paintings), are now displayed 83 paintings that Pietro Leopoldo of Tuscany, urged by the city intellectuals, donated to Lucca after its annexion to the Grand Duchy (1847). It includes artworks from various Italian and foreign painting schools (16th – 18th century); some of them can rightfully be considered masterpieces.