The Villa Guinigi National Museum is located in the northeastern part of the city of Lucca, an area originally on the outside of the thirteenth century city walls and only later incorporated within the new sixteenth century walls. The Villa is one of the oldest and prestigious buildings of the city. Its construction started in 1413 as the 'home of delights' of Paolo Guinigi, Lord of Lucca until 1430. Founded as a suburban Villa and as his Summer residence of representation, the building was surrounded by a large enclosed garden, of which today remains only a small portion, overlooked by the main façade with a long portico. After the death of Paolo Guinigi, the building suffered serious damage until, in 1924, was intended to accommodate the various collections as the first Civic Museum in town. In 1948 it was sold to the Italian State, which provided for the restoration of the building and for the new re-arranged exhibition. It was re-opened as National Museum of the city of Lucca in 1968.